Preparation, preparation, preparation! That’s what my mother always used to say. And every time I pack Elizabeth’s bags for an adventure on the road, that’s the advice I keep in mind.
Seasoned travelers already know the basics (canteen, bedroll, little black dress), and they’ve usually picked up some tricks along the way (wrap everything in a raincoat or sheet of cellophane, to keep it dry). But a paranormal investigator can never be too cautious. Here are some extras I’m always keen to carry along.
- Extra candles/matches.
- A sharp huntsman’s knife.
- One clove of garlic for every traveler, plus a tweed string to hang it from.
- A cryptographer’s handbook.
- Magnifying glass.
- Cyanide pills.
- Bandages/hot water bottle
- 50-ft. rope with grappling hook.
- Flash powder.
- One block of dark chocolate (sealed)
- Binoculars. (Elizabeth loves her birding!)
- Rabbit’s foot.
That last one is a personal touch. Elizabeth is always rolling her eyes at my little superstitions. But when it comes to uncanny happenings, I always make sure to pack a little luck!